Monday, November 30, 2009

Rag Tree Tutorial

This one is a Julia original :) I saw these ugly tinsel trees at Dollar Tree. I wondered what was underneath and there was a plastic cone frame. I thought it would be cute to make a rag tree. So here it is in all its glory!
This is what it looked like before:

First you cut off the tinsel and you're left with this nice tree frame
The stars were another thing. I couldn't find the rusty metal stars that weren't more than a dollar each, so I saw these glitter stars at JoAnn's. It was a bunch of 6 different sized glitter stars for $1. I scratched the surface and realized it was metal underneath, but scratching the glitter off was taking forever, so I soaked them in nail polish remover (acetone based).
The glitter slid right off, and I was left with these, exactly what I was looking for, rusty metal stars.
Then you cut out 6"x 1" strips of fabric and tie overhand knots on all the vertical spires, and the bottom hoop. When you have it covered, reach your hand up the middle and fluff out the fabic and Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment